What these artist have said gives one pause to think. Enjoy contemplating their words. Of course, these are quotes from some of the artist that I like.
1. "For me, painting is a way to forget life. It is a cry in the night, a strangled laugh."--Georges Rouault.
2. "Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye...it also includes the inner pictures of the soul."--Edvard Munch
3. "Great art picks up where natures ends."--Marc Chagall
4. "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."-- Edgar Degas
5. "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."--Thomas Merton
Though not a visual artist, Merton was a writer and a monk. His parents were visual artists. Besides, I like his quote.